Quick Start Guide:
If your unit has come partially assembled, please see parts list below. If you have ordered the unit fully assembled, please see (#8) under the Assembly/Installation Instruction heading below. It is recommended that you install your Chicken Fountain™ in a shady area of your coop that will allow easy access by your flock.
Please remove and inventory all items packaged inside of your carton. Your shipping carton should contain the following items:
- (1) One main housing unit containing the water flow valve
- (2) feeder arm(s) with red drippers. (Mini System only contains 1 arm)
- (1) One 3” inspection cap with a red air valve installed
- (2) Two plastic hangers (4 with Mega System)
- (1) Wire stabilizer (Standard and Mega Systems only)
- (1) Water supply line with hose fitting
- (2) Rubber bands
- (1) PVC glue
- (1) Water inlet stopper and cap
Hammer, level, tape measure, rag, garden hose
1. Unpack and inspect for any damage during shipping. If any damage is noted please contact our office at (704) 997-9426.
2. Place the main housing containing the water flow controller on a flat surface and ensure that both openings are clean and free of any packing material. Note the location of the alignment markings on the housing at the openings (black marking).
3. Remove both feeder arms containing the red poultry drippers and ensure the ends are clean and units are free of any packing material. Note the location of the alignment markings on the end (black marking).
4. Apply PVC Cement (supplied) to the inside flange of the opening on the main housing unit being careful to only apply it to the surface edge where the feeder arm will be installed and the end of the feeder arm. Be sure to applied sufficient PVC Cement to the entire circumference of the flange and pipe.
5. Insert one feeder arm into the flange using a twisting motion to ensure the feeder arm is completely inserted and the alignment markings on the feeder arm and the main housing are aligned. Please note: You will have to work fast because the PVC Cement will set very quickly especially when the two items are joined .
6. Repeat steps #4 and #5 with the other feeder arm.
7. Allow the PVC Cement to set for at least 30 minutes prior to charging the system with water.
8. Remove and retain rubber stopper and collar ring from the bottom fitting on the unit.
9. Install the braided stainless steel water supply line to the water inlet valve. Do not over tighten, slight hand tightening is all that is required.
10. Place the inspection cap with the red release valve on top of the main housing water reservoir, ensuring it is fully seated.
11. Identify a location for The Chicken Fountain™ that is out of direct sunlight for the majority of the day. This will help keep the water cool.
12. Hang the unit utilizing the supplied hangers and included nails, ensuring that it is level. Screws (not included) can also be used on the hangers to make adjustment easier in the future. The hangers are to be placed into the 3/4 inch channels on the main housing of the unit and snapped into place. You can also use wire (not supplied) to hang the unit from wire fencing but ensure that it is securely affixed. The height of the unit will depend on the type of birds contained in your flock. Hang the unit at a height so that your tallest bird will comfortably reach the poultry drippers without stretching too much to access the red drippers. Typically the height of the drippers for chickens is between 12″ and 18″ from the ground but this will vary based on your flock. If you have varying size birds hang it for the tallest birds and use bricks, rocks or a similar “step up” for your smaller birds to reach the poultry drippers. The nails used for installation of the hangers are taped inside of each hanger, two nails are supplied for each hanger.
13. Secure the center main housing with the wire stabilizer by inserting the ends in the hanger side holes and across the front of the main housing (not utilized on the Mini System). This stabilizer prevents the unit from tipping forward. If you are not using the supplied hangers secure the main housing with wire (not supplied) to prevent it from tipping forward.
14. Check to ensure that the unit is securely fastened and that the water line connection is hand tight on The Chicken Fountain™. Do not over tighten the waterline to The Chicken Fountain™.
15. Attach a garden hose to the inlet and slowly turn on the water. You will hear air release from the pressure release valve contained in the inspection cap on top of the water reservoir. The water level has been set during the manufacturing process but sometimes may need adjustment. If adjustment is needed (Standard/Mega Systems only) remove the inspection cap. Utilizing a long screwdriver, adjust the white knob on top of the main water controller. Turning it to the right increases water level to the left reduces water level. One full turn will increase or decrease the water level by approximately 1 inch. Be very careful that you do not completely unscrew (counterclockwise) the water level adjuster, reinsertion is very difficult. Please note: The garden hose should remain on at all times to ensure that The Chicken Fountain™ is refilled when your flock drinks from the system.
Training Your Flock:
Birds are naturally curious animals and will be very interested in The Chicken Fountain™ once it is installed. The fastest way to get your flock to transition from their current watering process to The Chicken Fountain™ is by removing their current source of water. Be very careful during this “training period” and ensure that your flock is drinking enough water by helping them learn the process. Supplied with your fountain are two wide rubber bands. These bands are used to help hold the dripper open allowing it to release droplets of water. Place a rubber band around the feeder arm and slightly pull the band over the dripper opening the valve. The droplets of water will attract the birds and they will soon begin to peck at the poultry drippers. This pecking action will open the poultry dripper valves and will release water for the birds. Placing their feed close to The Chicken Fountain™ will also help them become familiar with the device. PLEASE NOTE: It is very important that for the next several day you watch your flock closely to ensure that they are receiving sufficient water. If they are not utilizing The Chicken Fountain™ briefly supply them an additional water supply, but quickly re-start the process again. It may take a day or two but once they have it there is no stopping them!
Adding Wormers and/or Supplements:
Your new Chicken Fountain™ is a semi-sealed system allowing the introduction of wormers (i.e Wazine-17) and supplements to the water. The fully charged system holds approximately 1 US GAL of water (Standard size unit). Using the mixing chart on the bottle or packaging of your wormer or supplement determine the correct amount of product to be mixed with 1 US GAL. Remove the inspection cap on top of the water reservoir contained in the main housing. This cap will have a red pressure relief valve similar to the poultry drippers in the center of the cap. Deposit the correct amount of wormer/supplement into the water reservoir and replace the cap. To avoid the wormer/supplement from becoming diluted, it is recommended that you shut off the water supply line and allow the flock to drink down the water contained in the system. PLEASE NOTE: It is very important that your system does not become completely dry because you flock will not be receiving any water if allowed to do so. Once you are confident that your flock has ingested the wormer/supplement slowly turn on the water to recharge The Chicken Fountain™.
Cold Weather Operation:
Your Chicken Fountain™ is designed to operate in above freezing temperatures. A optional heater system is available that will help keep your Chicken Fountain™ operational year round. Caution should be taken to prevent the water supply line(s) from freezing. The heater system does not protect the inlet lines from freezing additional precautions must be taken. PLEASE NOTE: It is the purchasers responsibility to take the necessary steps to ensure that the waterlines and system do not freeze. Damage will occur if the waterline and/or The Chicken Fountain should freeze. The Chicken Fountain, LLC assumes no liability for frozen waterlines and/or fountain. Even if you choose to not operate your Chicken Fountain™ during freezing temperatures it is important that you store the unit in a heated area and prevent from freezing.
Manual Mode Operation:
The system can be used in the manual mode during the winter months to avoid the possibility of the inlet hose freezing or at any time a garden hose is not readily available. To operate in the manual mode remove the hose connection at the base of the unit. Screw on the supplied cap ensuring that the rubber stopper is in place to prevent the unit from leaking. The unit can be manually filled through the access cap on the top of the reservoir. *IMPORTANT* Ensure that there is adequate water to completely cover the heater system if utilized. When operating in the manual mode it is imperative that the water level be checked several times per day to ensure there is adequate water for your flock.
Your new The Chicken Fountain™ – Automatic Poultry Watering systems .